English Truffles???

Mr. A.S. McNeish ilchn169 at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 12:06:23 EST 1994

Is there anybody out there with information on English
 Truffles (Tuber Aestum)?

 I am particularly interested in methods of discovering there
 whereabouts using dogs trained spectifically for the purpose which
 I beleive was the case at the beginning of this century.
 A Mr Eli Collins apparently made a gift of a large English truffle to
 Queen Victoria some time in the late 19th century and according to
 Sacherevall Sitwell bart he used a particular breed of poodle described
 as "a rather queer looking quadruped" to aid him in its location.

 Any information gratefully received