Gremenniella isolation

"David Brayford ", IMI D.BRAYFORD at CABI.org
Mon Nov 28 12:09:13 EST 1994

I don't think there is a "quick and easy" way with this fungus because its
apothecia
tend to accumulate debris and hence potential contaminants.  What I did some
years
back was to pick off each apothecium, push it into the surface of a plate of
water agar and
move it around in the agar with sterile needles so as to scrape off as much
dirt, algae,
etc. as possible.  Then put the fruit body into a drop of streptomycin
solution on an alcohol-flamed microscope slide.  Let the fruit body swell
and open for a couple of
minutes, then using a sterile scalpel carefully scrape out a small bit of
the ascal layer
and place it into a drop of water on the surface of a plate of tap water
agar + streptomycin.
 Use a flamed glass spreader to smear the ascal suspension over the agar
surface.
Incubate overnight and then look for germinating ascospores.  These can be
picked off
using a tungsten needle sharpened in molten sodium nitrite and then
transferred to
slopes of V8 agar (or whatever).

This may sound complicated, but it's not bad once you get into the swing of
it.  The main
thing is to get rid of as much debris as possible by rolling around in the
agar, and then use
antibiotic to supress bacteria.  At least the ascospores have a distinctive
shape, so you
know what to isolate!  If you incubate your apothecia at low temperature for
a longish
time, the ascospores sometimes germinate in-situ and form conidia, which can
be a
problem.  I recommend isolating from apothecia when they are as fresh as
possible.

Good luck.

Dave Brayford
International Mycological Institute
d.brayford @cabi.org

I have difficulties in obtaining single ascospore from apothecium collected
in the field. I am working with fungus Gremmeniella abietina (Ascomycete)
and
need to screen a large number of single spore isolates. Could anyone there
advise me some easy and quick methods of obtaining single spore isolates?
Any suggestion and help will be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Xiao-Ru Wang