Karyotype a fungus??

Brett Tyler bmtyler at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Nov 29 14:05:18 EST 1994

At 10:43 AM 11/29/94 -0800, GLEN SHEARER wrote:

>Does anyone know of a reference where a chromosome spread
>has been examined microscopically to actually _count_ the
>number of chromosomes in a fungus?  Since this is routinely
>done with mammalian cells, I thought this might be a way
>to estimate the chromosome number in fungi.
>
>Thanks for any info,
>Glen
>[gshearer at whale.st.usm.edu]
>

><glen_shearer at bull.cc.usm.edu>

The chromosomes of fungi are often too small to accurately count.  However,
it has been done for some fungi with larger chromosomes, such as Neurospora
crassa. The reference is: McClintock, B. 1945. "Neursopora I. Preliminary
observations of the chromosomes of Neuropsora crassa" Am. J. Bot. 32,
671-678.

Brett Tyler
Professor
Department of Plant Pathology