Karyotype a fungus??

James Brown james.brown at afrc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 15:44:58 EST 1994

> Does anyone know of a reference where a chromosome spread
> has been examined microscopically to actually _count_ the
> number of chromosomes in a fungus?  Since this is routinely
> done with mammalian cells, I thought this might be a way
> to estimate the chromosome number in fungi.
> <glen_shearer at bull.cc.usm.edu>

The main problem is that the chromosomes are usually so small. One
reference, to an ascomycete which causes a powdery mildew disease,
Erysiphe graminis, is by:
L. Borbye, I. Linde-Larsen, S.K. Christiansen & H. Giese (1992)
Mycological Research 96:97-102. This illustrates how it could be done,
and also some of the problems.

James Brown

Dr J. K. M. Brown,
Cereals Research Department, John Innes Centre,
Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UH, England
Fax:    (+44)(0) 1603 502241
E-mail: james.brown at bbsrc.ac.uk