Wild Matsutake Harvest

Fri Oct 7 12:05:02 EST 1994

In article <36vpdk$p70 at newsbf01.news.aol.com>, mycoworld at aol.com (MycoWorld) writes:
>I am trying to determine how well the wild matsutake (Tricholoma
>magnivelare, Armillaria ponderosa, A. Caligata) season is doing around the
>world.  Yields have been poor and prices low here in central Oregon.  I
>have a reliable report from Korea that their season is one of the worst on
>record.  I believe that Canada (BC) is doing ok and hear rumors that China
>and Russia are doing well - can anyone confirm or deny this info?

I've heard that there really aren't that many in BC this year- a few spots
maybe OK due to our diverse geography, but overall the harvest seems to
be low according to at least one harvester I talked too.  That could just be
here on Vancouver Island, though.  Prices also seem to be coming down,
according to this gentleman, though I can't confirm that- there was somewhat
of a gold-rush mentality that is perhaps simmering down.  Maybe all the
good hunters have staked out their claims and purchased very good
flashlights :-)				-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773