Synergism, hard to define.

Shinhan Shiu han at plantpath.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 13 22:21:54 EST 1994

I am a first-year grad. And I am going to study the mechanism of synergism
between Verticillium dahliae (the potato-early-dying pathogen) and
Pratylenchus penetrans (root lesion nematode). According the field data,
yeild loss and symptoms tend to be severe when both pathogens are present in
the same plot. What we and the other group observe is that the effect is
simply additive but synergistic.

Before I look into the mechanism of such synergistic effect, I would
like to know if there is any well-defined system of synergistic
interaction. Please indicate the information source if possible.

And, I am tring to send some messages to Prof Carl H. Beckman, Univeristy
of Rhode Island, who studies wilt disease of various plants. If anybody
know his e-mail add, please inform me about that.

Thank you.

Shinhan Shiu
han at plantpath.wisc.edu
Department of Plant Pathology