Manipulations with Filamentous Fungi

John J Weiland jweiland at BADLANDS.NODAK.EDU
Sat Oct 15 10:41:53 EST 1994

I'm kind of new to these beasts, and am looking for some input into the
following questions.  The fungus I'm working with is a pathogen of barley
called Pyrenophora teres.

1)	We currently store long-term cultures of the fungus on silica
gel.  Is this a standard long term storage media?  Can spores be stored
in glycerol at -80 degrees C.  Can they be stored as stabs in agar (like
many bacterial isolates)?

2)	Conidia of P. teres can be collected from mycelia grown in
culture.  Ascospores, however, result from the mating of two opposite
mating types of the fungus on barley plants (but not in culture).  Has
anyone seen mention of mutations in the fungus, or culture conditions,
that may induce productive mating of such a fungus in culture, rather
than on its normal host plant?

3)	Any papers out there on the "bulk segregation analysis" of traits
in haploid fungi using PCR?   Did Michelmore's group do it with the
fungus, or just with the plant traits?

Thanks in advance!

John Weiland		jweiland at badlands.nodak.edu