ATCC & Psilocybe

Stamets 1 stamets1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 14:33:01 EST 1994

In article <CxByqt.5sn at nbn.com>, harris at bhc.com (Bob Harris) writes:

 Bob is right.The compounds are illegal; not the genus or its members.  Of
interest to many of you, I have finally got around to submitting a new
species for publication - Psilocybe azurescens which I have co-authored
with
Jochen Gartz who did extensive analyses. A surprising finding is that when
the
mycelium of this species, otherwise extremely potent, was cultured on 10%
plus malt agar medium (100 grams/liter), there were NO detectable amounts
of psilocybin, psilocin, and/or baeocystin! In contrast, mycelia on 2%MEA
had, collectively, more than 2.5% (d.w.) of the same. Bizarre, but
true.This is the third species I have named and it is by far, the most
interesting. It may well be the
most potent species ever analyzed. This work was done under the auspices
of a DEA license through Dr. Michael Beug of The Evergreen State College
and has no connection to Fungi Perfecti.

    I agree that the loss of these cultures is a loss to us all -
especially for future
works.

paul stamets

    The article will be published in Integration. The ms. was 20 pages and
should clear up or - in the minds of some - further complicate the
taxonomy of the Caerulescent species. (No cultures are available. Please
do not ask. The type location is Astoria, Oregon.)