Help finding a gelatinous mushroom ...

Lorelei Norvell lorelei at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Oct 24 00:44:27 EST 1994

On 24 Oct 1994, William783 wrote:
> But I've was told about a gelatinous mushroom that grows is Oregon.
> I actually saw one in Oct of '92 (my how times flies) at a Mychology
> workshop.  I didn't write the name down.  Can anyone guide me....>

	William.  We shall probably need a little more information than
you have given us.  If the mushroom was the consistency of jelly and an
edible, you may be referring to Auricularia auricula (sometimes called a
Tree Ear) which is brown colored.  There are two types of Witche's Butter
(Tremella mesenterica and Dacrymyces palmatus) which are brilliant
yellow.  There is a little whitish mushroom with "teeth" on the underside
sometimes called the Jelly Tooth (Pseudohydnum gelatinosum).  And there
is also the orange colored Phlogiotis helvelloides(Apricot Jelly Mushroom).
Other possibilities include Exidia glandulosa, Tremella cerebriformis,
Guepiniopsis (Heterotextus) alpina, and Calocera viscosa, among others.
	Could you describe what you remember?
Lorelei