** What are yeast? **

Weiss biochem at clio.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Oct 26 11:25:46 EST 1994

In his mail "** What are yeast? **" Vu Nguyen Thanh wrote:

>Hi!
>For most of people yeasts are Sac. cerevisiae.
>For most of yeastists yeasts are the fungi with single cells stage of
>development. But Mucor spp. can give us such kind of cells in condition
>without O2 as well.
>So, how do you think about "what are yeast" and "their origin"?

>    origin of yeasts:
>          / ...                    / fungi1             / yeasts
>    Fungi - ...        or    yeast - fungi2     or    X - fungi
>          \ yeasts                 \ fungi...           \ ...

>    or ...

>Have a nice day!
>Thanh

I've thought it over a while and came to this conclusion. Since there are
some Zygomycete and Basidiomycete yeasts beneath the common Ascomycetes, my
proposal is:

                 /Neurospora         /
      /more fungi      /lots of fungi
Fungi -even more fungi -mushrooms (mnjam) -...
      \yeasts          \some more poor yeasts -
                                             \

To say it short, yeasts are just degenerated filamentous fungi!
(Sorry to al "yeastists"!)

Warning: This sketch isn't based on any rRNA sequences. It is in fact
the somewhat eccentric view of an molecular biology PhD candidate working
with a filamentous fungus and not with yeast.

Christoph Kruell, Universitaet Duesseldorf, Germany