Strange fungi in burned forest

Lewis Melville lmelvill at uoguelph.ca
Wed Oct 26 12:41:25 EST 1994

LenjaV.Bystrykh wrote:
: Hi
: I did not work with fungi too much although I am microbiologist.
: During my student project I collected some strange fungi in an Ural
: Region in Russia. There was a fire in forest about week before I've started.
: An amasing fact was that a lot of colored plasmodia and cup-like fungi (like a
: small coffee cup) were growing in plenty on a groung where all other plants and
: grass were burned out. I could never find the same species in a neighbourhood where fire
: din not happened.
: Apparently a forest fire is a disaster, but seems to be
: a great fun for mycologist. Has anybody in USA studied fungi in burned forests?

	Ectendomyorrhizal fungi are common in post-fire sites. Maybe a
Wilcoxina sp.. Keith Egger is an expert on Post-fire ascomycetes.
He used to be at Memorial University in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada,
but may be back in western Canada. lew