Cordyceps capitata

Chris Schadt gash at u.washington.edu
Sun Oct 30 12:02:04 EST 1994

I am taking an general mycology course this quarter and we recently ran
across this "truffle eating" fungus on the Olympic penninsula of
Washington State.  Arora's book "Mushrooms Demystified" says it might
possibly be worth eating, but he could find no literature on it.  My lab
TA said he had read that it or another Cordyceps and the truffle host
were used ritually (in Australia?).  My question for the newsgroup is:
does anybody know of or have access to any references on the subject and
Does the parasitic fungus or the truffle or the fungus and truffle or
neither have hallucinogenic properties? Thanks for any responses.

              /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing
   /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
  /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
 //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ gash at u.washington.edu |  almost like having another
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ Botany Undergraduate  |  being."