Toxin absorbed from Substrate?

Faust ez040548 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Sat Sep 17 13:07:29 EST 1994

	I have a question requarding the metabolic processes and absortion of
potential toxins from the substrate into the fruit-body of mushrooms.
	I recently began composting and I am planning on growing any mushroom
species which will take in my yard, I had in mind Stropharia
rugoso-annulata (King Stropharia) and other edible mushrooms perhaps
woodears and oyster mushrooms, the question I have is whether the compost
of Oleander (a toxic bush/tree) will contain the toxins that the original
plant did, and if it does, will these toxins be absorbed by the fungi.
	Obviously the toxins in this case are organic, but I also have
another question, I have access to "sludge" from a waste treatment plant,
and it contains larger quantitys of heavy metals than does normal soil, I
am wondering if -those- would be absorbed.
	Also both of these questions would apply to normal vegetables as
well if anyone knows anything about that, and if there is any appreciable
difference in absortion.
	My e-mail address in case it is not posted it whporter at ucdavis.edu.
Thanks,
	-Bill