Hi...I'm a clueless newbie!

mspear mspear at telerama.lm.com
Sun Apr 9 18:28:45 EST 1995


CAVETOCAVE (cavetocave at aol.com) wrote:
> Don't eat the common commercial one if you are trying to avoid commercial
> toxins.
> Because of the problems of growing out of compost, fungicides (for the
> lower fungus) and pesticides )for the flying inscects eggs/larva are used.
> Eat shiitake' or tree oyster or wild from the woods types and you will not
> have that problem.
> Also if taste is a priority, same same.

I disagree.  Commercial Agaricus farmers are just like any other
farmers.  There are some who use a lot of pesticides.  However the
successful ones got that way by keeping costs down and quality and
productivity up.  As in most crops this means minimal pesticides,
Integrated Pest Management, sanitary practices instead of poisons.

The average Agaricus operation is around 4 million pounds per year. 
It's got lot's of employees and has the usual constraints of FIFRA
regulations, insurance inspections, FDA rules and the like.

The average shiitake or oyster grower is much smaller, not nearly as
professional, has much less time in the business, and can "fly under
the radar".  Pest and disease control without poisons are not as well
worked out for the exotics.  In short these guys tend to use whatever
they need to and can get away with it.

The blanket assertion that Agaricus is pesticide laden and shiitake is
not probably should be discarded.

    ---- Mark



More information about the Mycology mailing list