Help with Boletus retipes? ornatipes?

Ken Harrison Kharrison
Mon Apr 10 14:27:17 EST 1995

In article <44496.rarnold at teleport.com>, rarnold at teleport.com says...

>I received this posting to FUNGUS.  Can you help?
>Reply to: lombardi at ADMIN.ACES.K12.CT.US
>
>  Hello...I'm new at searching for information via computer and not
>really sure if I'm in the correct address for asking guestions.
>However, if there is any way I can get  some info regarding the
>edibility of "BOLETUS RETIPES" it would be appreciated.A field guide
>describes it as a variety of "BOLETES ORNATIPES" or "GOLDSTALK".
>Thank you for any info that may be available.........Frank
>
>                          Lombardi at admin.aces.k12.ct.us

The following are quotes from the Boletus ornatipes description in Nova
Scotian Boletes by D.W. Grund and K.A. Harrison (p. 78 & 79) published by
J. Cramer in 1976 as Band 47 in their Bibliotheca Mycologica series:

"Observations: We agree with Smith and Thiers (p. 330, 1971) that B.
ornatipes is not a synonym of B. retipes (Berk. & Curt.) Sing. There are
differences in macrochemical reactions. Singer (p.10, 1947) used a
"beautiful yellow" reaction of the pileus to KOH as a specific character
for the identification of B. retipes and used it again in the key to this
species on p.35 (loc. cit.). He placed B. ornatipes (p.9, loc. cit.) in
synonymy with B. retipes, but apparently never checked for this reaction
on the northern forms of this complex. B. ornatipes in Nova Scotia does
not have this reaction to KOH ...."

"Edibility: Here is a case of confused identities. Snell and Dick report
B. retipes as edible and of good flavor, but as B. retipes is a southern
species it seems highly probable that Snell and Dick have reported on B.
ornatipes. It is strongly recommended that anyone wishing to eat this
common bolete should use the normal precautions. The taste can be
distinctly bitter."

Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
KHarrison at fcmr.forestry.ca