Hi...I'm a clueless newbie!

Chris Schadt gash at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 10 21:04:50 EST 1995

On 9 Apr 1995, mspear wrote:

> Commercial Agaricus farmers are just like any other
> farmers.  There are some who use a lot of pesticides.  However the
> successful ones got that way by keeping costs down and quality and
> productivity up.  As in most crops this means minimal pesticides,
> Integrated Pest Management, sanitary practices instead of poisons.
>
> The average Agaricus operation is around 4 million pounds per year.
> It's got lot's of employees and has the usual constraints of FIFRA
> regulations, insurance inspections, FDA rules and the like.
>
> The average shiitake or oyster grower is much smaller, not nearly as
> professional, has much less time in the business, and can "fly under
> the radar".  Pest and disease control without poisons are not as well
> worked out for the exotics.  In short these guys tend to use whatever
> they need to and can get away with it.
>
> The blanket assertion that Agaricus is pesticide laden and shiitake is
> not probably should be discarded.
>
>     ---- Mark

Another consideration not adressed here is the fact that Agaricus farmer
most often use straw and chicken manure purchased from farms over which
they have little control as to what chemicals are being used.  Being as
how Agaricus are famed for their accumulation of toxins and metals in
fruiting bodies I can see how this initial cultivation of compost
material might be an extremely important step in eliminating toxins from
the product.

              /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing
   /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
  /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
 //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ gash at u.washington.edu |  almost like having another