identification of a polypore

Tom Volk tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 14 08:26:44 EST 1995

Hi Mike.

In article <5uwcYRm.mikefer at delphi.com> mikefer at delphi.com writes:

>From: mikefer at delphi.com
>Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
>Subject: identification of a polypore
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 95 23:14:46 -0500

>I am trying to identify a stalked polypore with limited reference resources.
>Soooo. I thought I'd ask. This was found growing on the ground in a pasture
>has a woody stipe attached to the cap on its side in a small indentation. Any
>ideas where to start looking at the genus level? Thanks

This is certainly not as easy as you might think. Although some polypores
can be easily identified macroscopically, they are the exception rather than
the rule.  The days are gone when all polypores could be classified as
Polyporus or Fomes.  Gilbertson & Ryvarden describe 100 genera of Polypores
in their 2-volume "North American Polypores"  Modern genera of polypores are
based largely on microscopic characteristics (monomitic vs dimitic vs.
trimitic, clamps vs. simple septate, certain kinds of cystidia, etc) and
whether the fungus causes a white or a brown rot.  Some of the polypores are
very interesting to look at in the microscope-- I recommend it highly.
There is also a computerized synoptic key to polypores, using the above
characteristics, called PolyKey by Adaskaveg and Dunlop. I recommend it very
highly.
As for your polypore in the pasture, I'm sorry to say have no idea without
seeing it or knowing additional information about its microscopic
characteristics.

Incidentally I am scheduled to gicve a morning workshop on
introduction to identification of polypores and corticiod (resupinate crust)
fungi at this year's NAMA foray in Bemidji Minnesota at the end of August.
A beautiful place and  a fun time.

---Tom Volk  Center for Forest Mycology Research, Madison Wisconsin
<tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu>