Morchella esculenta; Central Massachusetts

Island taykra at philk.iii.net
Wed Apr 26 13:19:13 EST 1995

Does anyone have any indicators for Morels (preferably M. esculenta)
in Central Mass. area.  Time range?  What else is blooming or doing at
morel time?  eco-niche types?

Also, I _still_ have some dried M. esculenta from several years ago.
This is perhaps a far fetched idea, but I want to try to grow morels.
I have prepared what I think will be a good site (sun/pt shade;
grassy-ish; limey-ashy sweet;) Assuming there might be some spores left
on the samples I have, does anyone know how I might go about trying to
propagate?  Does the mycelium need wood? I am -patient- and willing to
read material to figure this out.

To anyone who responds with useful info, I will provide you with a very
good recipe for Cream of Morel Soup (richly flavorful).

Also:  Any mycological groups in Central Mass Area?  Any natural history
people?  (flora, fauna, geol., bird watchers, etc.)

Island  (taykra at philk.iii.net)