Amateur Mycology clubs in Atlanta,Ga area

Roy Jerden rjerden at vertigo.atlwin.com
Sun Apr 30 15:56:56 EST 1995

Anybody aware of any mycology clubs in the Atlanta, Ga. area? I have
lived her 7 years and have had a great time by myself, but would like
to meet some other interested souls.

Found my first Grifola frondosa in Ga. mountains last fall. Morels are
very variable in the local Atlanta area. I have some in my back yard
(!!!!) I use as an indicator of general availability, but have not had
much luck at finding them in quantity (or size) locally. I suspect the
north Ga. mountains are probably a better source considering the
oak-hickory forests at the higher elevations. There are also some
apple growing regions that might bear investigation if the orchard
owners allow trespassing. I have not found any real nice M. Esculenta
specimens here as I used to find when I lived in Missouri.

Summer is much better.  Craterellus laterius is found everywhere and
you can stock up for the winter easily. I  have also found a few spots
where a black craterellus fruits in abundance (not sure of exact
species). Lactaria abound, including the beautiful Lactarius Indigo.
Sparassis spathulata/herbstii are abundant also in late summer. Most
of the other good edible species are also found in late summer rather
than in the fall .

Boletes of all kinds are very abundant. I have a couple of spots in
the pine woods where B. edulis fruits in great numbers (no, I won't
tell). These are quite good when  fresh, but when dried do not get the
wonderous aroma of the dried porcini that I used to buy in Italy.
Seems a shame. Maybe they are a subspecies or perhaps the taste and
aroma varies depending on the substrate.

Does anyone know if there are any areas in North America where they
are as good as the European varieties ?

I have occasionally found what may be Boletus aureus under old oaks.
It dries with much more aroma than the local B. edulis.  In Italy, the
best porcini are found under chestnuts in Tuscany. Makes you wonder
what could have been found in Dixie before the American Chestnut was
destroyed by the chestnut blight. This tree represented 1/4 of all the
southern hardwood forest before its disappearance.

Fall is very variable since it is usually the driest time of the year.

B. edulis can continue right up until November depending on the rain,
but will disappear after the first frost regardless of the month.  I
don't know if it persists further south or not. Suillus(yech) takes
over the pine woods, but some good Tricholoma species can be found,
particularly T. Leucophyllum.

Winter is pretty much limited to oyster mushrooms and the occasional
spot of  Flammulina velutipes.

I read an article about two years ago where they had found a species
of truffle under pecan trees in southern Ga.  I haven't heard anything
since, however. Has anybody else heard more ?