Straw vs. Wood chips?

xyzzyx xyzzyx at
Wed Aug 2 01:09:14 EST 1995

In article <9507312146.AA07593 at>,
dobranic at says...
>        For growing Pleurotus sp. indoors, has anyone found either straw
>or wood chips better for yield? What advantages does one have over the other?
>I would appreciate the help.

they both work pretty well, but hardwood works better than e.g. pine which
tends to stunt growth.  Actually, I recommend corn cob chips as far superior
to either, for Pleurotus.  They are very uniform in size and easy to handle,
especially during pasteurization steps.  They drain well and hold their shape
well, without getting sticky.  They are easy to distribute to allow for more
effective mycelial coverage, as well.  I get them from a local animal feed
store, they are sold as small animal bedding (e.g. "Bed-o-cobs" brand); make
sure they are not treated with anything nasty (esp. fungicides !).  BTW, they
work well as filler with Lentinus as well, though you will need to mix in
hardwood chips.