Europe's most spectacular fungi

Jonathan Clay jonc at pjsnp.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 06:31:49 EST 1995

Calling all mycologists in Europe!
What/where are, in your opinion, Europe's most spectacular fungi?
What fungi or fungi-facts are guaranteed to make the lay-person sit up
and say "thats amazing!"?

I'm researching a television series on the natural history of Europe
and, whilst the programmes will probably be dominated by mammals and
birds (thats what the viewers want, I'm afraid!), I don't want to ignore
groups such as fungi. But, to get airtime, the fungi have got to appeal
to a general audience - they have to be visually stunning or have a very
interesting life-history (preferably both!)
So what species do you reccomend and why? And where can I find them?
Any stories about the interaction between people and fungi, in the past
and the present, would also be particularly welcome.

Check out the following URL for more information on the series:-

http://bchannel.avonibp.co.uk/productioncos/greenumbrella/intro.html

Cheers,

Jon.