Mycotoxins in lichens?

mark roberts mroberts at metz.une.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 03:05:49 EST 1995

Here on the New England Tablelands (NSW) we have a very common foliose,
lime green-coloured lichen that often completely covers introduced
plants such as plum trees.  A local naturopath has suggested using this
lichen as a "healthy" tobacco substitute, as I'm trying to give up
smoking.  However, I'm rather sceptic, as I'm aware many fungi contain
toxic metabolites.  Is anyone aware of lichens producing anything that
would make smoking them potentially hazardous?

Thanks!

Paul Somerton (using someone else's account).