More on Oidium lactis

Austin Reade areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Thu Aug 17 08:47:43 EST 1995

In article <01HU3WR88SZM000IQ0 at RHODES.EDU> HILL at RHODES.EDU writes:
RHODES.EDU!HILL>From: HILL at RHODES.EDU>Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
>Subject: More on Oidium lactis
>Date: 15 Aug 1995 14:19:28 -0700

>>  I have a German article from 1893 that mentions the cell shape of the
>>  organism Oidium lactis to be cylindric, rounded at the ends, and of
>>  variable length.  Please contact me if you know this organism (Is it a
>>  bacterium or yeast?) or its current name, in case it changed.  Where could
>>  I find more information about it?

>The genus name Oidium is an old one dating back at least to Saccardo.  It's
>mainly used now colloquially to designate the asexual stages of powdery
>mildews, but it's been associated at times with lots of other molds.

>According to Arthur T. Henrici in "Molds, Yeasts, and Actinomycetes" (J. Wiley
>and Sons, 1930), Oidium lactis "is a very common and widespread mold,
>extraordinarily resistant to heat and antiseptics, which grows everywhere where
>lactic acid is present -- on sour milk, cheeses, butter, sauerkraut, silage,
>and pickles . . ."

>That sounds like a pretty good description of Geotrichum candidum, and I vote
>with those who've already suggested Geotrichum as the modern equivalent.

According to G. Smith in "An Introduction to Industrial Mycology" (Edward
Arnold Publishers Ltd, 1969, Geotrichum candidum produces arthrospores which
are cylindrical with rounded ends.  Smith gives Oospora lactis (Fresnius)
Sacc. as a synonym.  Also, an number of isolates of Geotrichum candidum listed
in the ATCC catalogue of Fungi and Yeasts appear to have been known as members
of Oospora or Oidium.

I believe Geotrichum candidum is known as "machinery mold" in sanitation
circles likely due to some of the properties described by Henrici.
Austin Reade, Microbiologist      Phone:    (902) 424-8670
Nova Scotia Research Foundation   Fax:      (902) 424-4679
101 Research Drive, PO Box 790    Internet: areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Dartmouth, NS, Canada  B2Y 3Z7