More on that alleged A. campestris

Tryggvi Emilsson emilsson at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 17 12:05:28 EST 1995

griner at gar.ultranet.com (George Riner) writes:

>Larry Caldwell pointed out that I need to specify my location.
>I see his point, I'm a bit new to this.

>	These were found in eastern Massachusetts.

>I checked up on Larry's suggestion of A. placomyces, which is what I first
>thought when I saw them, because of the gray-ish fine fibrils.

>I picked a dozen, in various stages of maturity, and was expecting a
>phenolic/iodine odor and some bruising.  But there was a complete lack
>of both features.  And, the younger stages don't have quite the strong 'boxy'
>look to the cap that I've seen (Arora uses the term 'marshmallow-shaped').

>I'd be glad to hear from Barnaby Dillar again about his A. campestris-like
>stuff that grows in the woods.  Any references you can point me to?

A number of years ago I saw an interesting bunch of agaricus along a 100 meter
segment of a path through some woods near Urbana,Illinois.On one end there
were mushrooms that fit the textbook description of A.Placomyces,squarish
top,strong phenolic "fragrance",gray-ish fibrils,etc. On the other end of
the path there were mushrooms that I could not quite match exactly to anything
in my fieldguides,but had rounder caps,lighter color and looked like A.Sylvati-
cus (I think,- it's been a long time...). Along the middle of the path there
were mushrooms with caracteristics of both,that changed smoothly from one type
to the other.There were hundreds of mushrooms,so no mental interpolation was
needed to notice how smooth and gradual the change was.
The only speculation that I could make was that: a) the characteristics of
the mushrooms depended smoothly on some characteristic of the soil,which
changed along the length of the path, or b) there was some wholesale mycelial
miscegenation going on, and that I was looking at a continuous range of
hybrids.  Is either of these scenarios plausible???

T.Emilsson

PS.  A few days ago I saw a few scattered agaricus along that same path.
If anybody is interested, it would be easy enough to collect some.