Chanterelle ID problem

Robert Huber JTHX89A at prodigy.com
Sat Aug 19 23:23:25 EST 1995

I've been collecting Chanterelles here in N. California for ten years and
I have NEVER seen a Chanterelle with an insect infestation unless it was
VERY old and not worth eating anyway.  I occassionally notice a white
coating on the top of specimens, but it is never cottony, just white, and
appears to be part of the mushroom.

Western specimens virtually never have a cone-like depression in the
center, though I understand eastern specimens do.  The Gomphus I've seen
have a more mottled appearance, while Chanterelles are more uniform in
color.

I'm probably too late to be of any help, but I'd like to hear whether you
solved your ID problem and were able to eat your catch!