Spore viability

Marcelo Soria soria at fotgar.uba.ar
Tue Aug 29 11:26:44 EST 1995

Hello !!!

I was recently checking the viability of a spore stock of Aspergillus
niger. I determined percent of CFU and percent of germinating spores.
To my surprise the two numbers were quite different. So I checked up the
calculations, repeated the derminations of total cells by using a different
Petroffhauser chamber and repeated the determinations of CFU and percent
of germinating spores with different stocks of A. niger, but the differences
were still there.
I read on Griffin's Fungal Physiology something about distinctions between
viability and germinability, but there were no further explanations or