lichen growth rates?

Joseph Howell aztlan at primenet.com
Wed Aug 30 23:06:57 EST 1995

What is the general growth rate of lichens? Say for example, how long does it
take for a lichen to cover the exposed surface of a rock? Or is this question
moot, due to different growth rates between species? I'm asking mainly because
archaeologists (of which I am one) often use the presence of a lichen-covered
cobble as an indicator of a sites general age. But I've never actually had
anyone claim to know just how fast lichens grow, so I've always been a bit
suspicious of this - it sounds more like "outdoor lore".

Any info? Thanks.