Drought in Boston Area

Jonathan R. Seagrave jrs at az.com
Thu Aug 31 04:03:00 EST 1995

In article <griner.16.001108BE at gar.ultranet.com>, griner at gar.ultranet.com
(George Riner) wrote:

> This gets people to chattering about 'damage to the mycelium'.  And I wonder,
> just how damaged is the mycelium?  What does a fungus do during extended dry
> periods when the environment is too unfriendly to allow spore production?
> Does the mycelium go dormant, reviving when the environment improves?
Or does
> it actually die and one just hopes that there are sufficient spores left
> ungerminated from last season to carry through to next year?

George,  I'm under the impression that most mycelium just kinda hangs out
and stays dormant.  It's remarkably resilient stuff really.  I could be
completely wrong however -- it's not something I've seen texts address. It
never seems to get dry enough on this side of the country to  for me to
have much experience with that; thank goodness.  Damage to mycelium due to
drying is mostly due to damage to the substrate itself -- if the ground
gets so dry it blow away for example.  I've seen petri dishes of mycilium
forgotten on a self for a year suddenly sprout miniature fruiting bodies!
they were barely a mm tall and looked like they were growing right out of
the glass (as all the agar had long dried away) After seeing that it's
hard to imagine mycelium actually dying due to drought alone.

jrs     http://www.az.com:/~jrs
--
The other day I saw a bumper sticker which read "Honk if you passed
p-chem."  I honked and the driver flipped me off.  I guess he didn't pass