Geotrichum vs. Arthroconidial Basidiomycet

lester.pasarell at utmb.edu lester.pasarell at utmb.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:40:02 EST 1995

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, David Pinero wrote:

> I have some confusion over somewhat fluffy isolates matching the
> Geothrichum form. Is it correct to call them Geothrichum? Is Geotrichum a
> term for the imperfect state of more than one species, including
> basidiomycetes? Or does it comprise only one species? Literature about
> this is highly contradictory.

Just my opinion...but it may be nice to hear others people comments about
this one....
Yes..the literature is very contradictory...it depends basically in
which part of the ocean you live...(-: and what books you follow...but
Usually the basidiomycete Arthroconidial forms are grouped around
Trichosporon sp. most of them having a positive urea reaction
were as Geotricum sp. is related to ascomycetes and has a Urea negative
reaction......

Most commercial yeast identifications methods include this two genera in
their data bases, so in theory if you have one of the common ones
you should be able to identify it with a biochemical strip and a morphology
plate (Dalmau method)

Another genus that is fluffy , white and produces Arthroconidia...and
its more common in some places than Trichosporon and Geotricum
is Arthrographis sp.. This one tends to be fluffy all the time
and does not tend to have a yeast like apearance in culture or
when you take a look under the microscope.
There is also some Basidios that will produce arthroconidia...but they
will also have clamp connections in the hyphae.

There is a bunch of other white fluffy moulds with arthroconidia...
that you may see more often depending of what you are working with.

By the way....were did you isolate this one from?

hope this helps..let me know if you need more information

Lester
Lester Pasarell-Luiggi                   Lester.Pasarell at utmb.edu
Medical Mycology Research laboratory     LPASAREL at beach.utmb.edu
University of Texas Medical Branch