Does mushroom picking damage or encourage the Mycelium?

Thomas O'Dell todell at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:39:37 EST 1995

You seem to want to apply the clear cut mentality to all natural resources.
National Forests are required to manage their resources on a sustained
yield basis. Since they don't know what that is for fungi it is
appropriate to err on the side of caution, rather than the mistakes
of the timber (over-) harvest. If public lland managers are changing
their attitudes regarding careful husbanding of resources, its about time!
My impression is not so much a change in attitude as a response to the
successful lawsuits re. long-term mismanagement of naturla resources on
public lands. The paucity of data on effects of mushroom collection put
managers in the position of shooting in the dark. Until they have
relaible data on which to base decisions they are justified in keeping
impacts to a minimum.
By the way, National Forest Regulations also require charging "fair
market value" for harvested products, users of the forest drive on
federally built roads and receive other services that are expensive. Only
recently has there been any discussion of user fees for harvesting
mushrooms. Most mushroom harvest is actually theft. What are you willing
to pay in return for this use of public lands?

todell at u.washington.edu
Mycology is better than Urology!