?Health effects of Stachybotrys chartarum?

Michael J. Black BLACKMJ at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
Tue Dec 19 15:51:50 EST 1995

(David Pinero) writes:

>     I found that Stachybotrys Chartarum was growing inside my old house.
>It was on a black spot on a water-damaged corner of a wall (sheetrock) in
>my office room, where I spent about two to four hours a day. MK-3 air
>samples showed that the spore content was high in that room, which was
>not ventilated (>1,000 p/m3; we could not isolate this fungus via
>Andersen viable sampling; this correlates with some literature).

Stachybotrys can be isolated using the Andersen Sampler.  I've seen it
recovered on Rose Bengal and Malt extract media.

>     I had no health problems even though I was exposed to it for months
>before I discovered it, although it is a suspected carcinogen, so I
>wouldn't know for sure. However, after I found out about it I decided to
>move out.

I think that this is a good example of Stachybotrys having an over
exaggerated importance in building air quality.  Proper hygiene
ie removal of the water damaged material probably would have reduced
exposure risks to near zero. Repairing the water damageshould have
be the building owner's biggest concern.

Michael