Pleurotus tuber-regium??

Ralph D. Arnold rarnold at teleport.com
Sun Feb 5 01:41:19 EST 1995

I have read several reports that within Nigeria there exists a type
of mushroom with an underground "tuber" or sclerotia that is edible.
Scientific name is Pleurotus tuber-regium (=Lentinus tuber-regium).
Common names are:
   ofuako (Mid-Western States)
   ohu (Western Nigeria)
   osu (East and Central parts)
   rumbagada (Hausa people of Northern part)
   ufetu (Asaba division of Mid-Western state)
   utun weromon (Ishan division of Mid-Western state)

Literature states that this mushroom "occurs in both tropical and
subtropical regions of the world.  It...forms large spherical to ovoid,
subterranean sclerotia which sometimes measures up to 30 cm."

I am seeking a culture or sclerotia of this species.
Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ralph D. Arnold
fax: 1-503-423-7409
rarnold at teleport.com