Companion culture?

MZieg1234 mzieg1234 at
Mon Feb 6 20:45:42 EST 1995

Mushroom cultivators are supposed to be secretive about successes but I
like to report something interesting. About a month ago I wrote about the
possibility of combining two different mushroom types in the same bag and
called it "companion culture." The idea was that the combination of an
fruiter and difficult fruiter would be -well- fruitful.  The presence of
competition or transfer of chemical/physical factors might induce
in the recalcitrant species. Nobody responded and I have not seen anything
the literature but it seemed a reasonable hypothesis. I have had no luck
Grifola frondosa in the past- an occasional aborted primordia. In tests
month once again control bags showed no primordia but in 50%(believe me
is gigantic improvement) of the bags with two species have nicely
Grifola fruitbodies! Curiously the second species is not producing
fruitbodies?  I am a scientist and know that many more tests need to be
and it all could be coincidence. I am currently repeating the tests and
perhaps the results will be different. I am truly hesitant to even send
note because of my academic upbringing but wouldn't mind if somebody tried
repeating this on a small scale if they have the time or inclination. It
could be of some importance economically for growing both Grifola and even
other species. Some of you full timers must have tried this?  I can't
bring myself to say what the other species are just yet but two worked and
have a feeling it is not too critical.  <:) Mike Ziegler