cloning from storebought

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Tue Feb 7 14:30:33 EST 1995

Has anyone successfully established mycelia from grocery store shiitakes
or oysters?  Nobody on PEI seems to have mycelia in culture (if I'm wrong
please contact me), and so far I'm too cheap to buy spawn commercially.
Also, I'm trying to keep it simple so as to eventually sell kits for home
kitchens using local waste material.  I have managed to start yellow morel
and chanterelle mycelia from spores, but don't expect to fruit them this
century :-} . I have just put some oyster stipe inner tissue into malt yeast
agar with poplar sawdust added...about 50 slants.  So while I'm crossing
fingers against contamination, please let me know if anybody has tried this.

Seeking not to reinvent the wheel, just grease it...Paul

ABIOGEN c/o Paul Stewart   <stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca>
RR #2 Vernon Bridge
Prince Edward Island
CANADA   C0A 2E0