Abstract

Gregory May gsmay at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Feb 9 09:54:21 EST 1995

The following is an abstract of a paer that is in press.  It will appear in
the Journal of Cell Biology Volume 128, No. 4, February 1995.

myoA of Aspergillus nidulans encodes an essential myosin I
required for secretion and polarized growth.

Carol A. McGoldrick, Carol Gruver and Gregory S. May

ABSTRACT
	We have identified and cloned a novel essential myosin I in
Aspergillus nidulans, called myoA. The 1249 amino acid predicted
polypeptide encoded by myoA is most similar to the amoeboid myosins
 I. Using affinity purified antibodies against the unique myosin I carboxyl
 terminus, we have determined that MYOA is enriched at growing
hyphal tips. Disruption of myoA, by homologous recombination, resulted
 in a diploid strain heterozygous for the myoA gene disruption. We can
recover haploids with an intact myoA gene from these strains but never
haploids that are myoA disrupted. These data indicate that myoA
encodes an essential myosin I and this has allowed us to use a unique
approach to studying myosin I function. We have developed conditionally
null myoA strains in which myoA expression is regulated by the alcA
alcohol dehydrogenase promoter. A conditionally lethal strain germinated
on inducing medium grows as wild type, displaying polarized growth by
apical extension. However, growth of the same myoA mutant strain on
repressing medium results in enlarged cells incapable of hyphal extension
and these cells eventually die. Under repressing conditions, this strain
also displays reduced levels of secreted acid phosphatase. The mutant
phenotype indicates that myoA plays a critical role in polarized growth
and secretion.

  Gregory S. May
  Department of Cell Biology
  Baylor College of Medicine