calcium in fungi

Peter Herman x5495 rpeter at nmsu.edu
Fri Feb 10 15:07:45 EST 1995

In article <9502072052.AA01079 at mani.cbs.umn.edu> nora at molbio.cbs.umn.edu writes:
>I would appreciate some help in designing/assessing experiments to
>determine cytoplasmic calcium levels in Neurospora crassa or another
>fungus. Specific questions are:
>
>	(1) Does the esterified fura-2 work in Neurospora for
>fluorescent measurements of calcium, or what are the drawbacks to its
>use in fungi?
>
>	(2) Does the calcium ionophore ionomycin work in Neurospora,
I have had some luck in using it in the watermold Achlya.  My
problem had to do with keeping the mycelium in place when we exposed
it to the growth regulator we were testing.  Even thin agar didn't
allow quick diffusion of the regulator and gave messy backgrounds.

*   Peter Herman, Dept. of Biology	Phone: +1 505 646 4532    *
*   New Mexico State University		Fax:   +1 505 646 5665    *
*   Box 30001, Dept. 3AF					  *
*   Las Cruces, NM 88003 USA		e-mail rpeter at nmsu.edu    *