Mycorrhiza - production of plant growt/development hormones ???

Mon Feb 20 12:30:19 EST 1995

In article <bjorn.34.00100CBE at kjemi.tih.no>, bjorn at kjemi.tih.no (Bjorn Ness) writes:
>I searche for information about possible mycorrhizal production of plant
>growth hormones  (auxins, gibberrelin, cytokins).
>
>I am well awere of the role mycorrhiza play in suporting the trees (/plants)
>with mineral components from the soil. But someone once wrote about plant
>hormone production as well.  Do anyone have som information on this ??

Most standard plant physiology texts will give you some basic information
on this- my dated copy of Salisbury & Ross, for example, explains that auxins,
as well as the cytokinins zeatin and zeatin riboside stimulate ectomycorrhizae
formation.  Plant hormone production by the fungal symbiont plays a role in
determining the degree of branching in a mycorrhizal root (increased branching
= more surface area for infection = greater transfer of nutrients, etc.)  If
you need more info., there are many books on the general topic (and not a few
lurkers in this group that probably know a lot more about this).
-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773