Oxalic acid and Agaricus

Jessie Micales jmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 24 14:18:25 EST 1995

I recently had a mushroom producer contact me about oxalic acid formation
by Agaricus.  He says that about 20% of the carbon content of the compost
is lost to oxalic acid formation rather than the production of mycelium.
Has anyone here done any work with oxalic acid production by Agaricus or
other commercial fungi or has made similar observations?  Brown-rot wood
decay fungi also make a lot of oxalic acid.  I wonder whether these are
related phenomena or totally different aspects of similar
physiology.

Any ideas, references, or passing thoughts appreciated!

Jessie A. Micales (jmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu)