Boletus info requested

Wed Feb 22 14:08:54 EST 1995

In article <3ie3cl$291 at terrazzo.lm.com>, mspear at telerama.lm.com (mspear)
writes:
>Harlock999 (harlock999 at aol.com) wrote:
>> I am trying to find any information regarding Boletus edulis.  This
>> includes possible innoculum sources, tips on culture, etc. etc. etc.
>
>> Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
>> Harlock999 at aol.com
>
>B. edulus is an ectomycorrhizal fungus.  To grow it you first need to
>prepare a rather exotic medium then inoculate tree seedlings.  Next
>you wait 3-6 years while your trees grow and if you are lucky and
>skillful you can get mushrooms.
>
>The only successful cultivated bolete patch I've ever seen is at INRA,
>in Bordeaux, France.  Check the literature.

It is possible to produce basidiocarps of B. edulis in axenic culture.
Use a deep dish or big jar or flask with modified Hagem/Modess medium:

5 g    Glucose
5 g    Malt extract (Difco)
0.5 g  KH2PO4
0.5 g  MgSO4.7H2O
0.5 g  NH4Cl
0.5 ml Ferric citrate (1%)
15 g   Bacto-agar (Difco)
1 l    H2O, distilled

Q.v.:

McLaughlin, David J. 1970. Environmental control of frutibody development in
Boletus rubinellus in axenic culture. Mycologia 62:307-331.

You can also find some related citations in the latest MycoInfo.  -RSW

Good luck

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773