HELP! basidiomycete recognition systems

Joe Sommer ninja at cml.com
Mon Feb 27 23:58:09 EST 1995

Hello, I need some information on how mating type compatability, somatic
compatability and intersterility function in basidiomycete fungi.  I
would appreciate any advice about how these systems operate, does the
current literature suggest that they are all independent of one another?
how do they function in terms of genetic loci? must they be different or
similar to produce a successful mating pair?

Also does somatic (vegetative) incompatability seem to be an artifactual
phenomenon? or does it serve a true functional role in segregating members within a
species to recognize only themselves in the natural environment?

Any advice concerning the above systems and how they interact with one
another would be appreciated.  Also any opinions on the function of
somatic compatability in the wild would also be appreciated.

 : ComputerLink Online Inc.            Realms of Despair!            :
 : (416)233-5410                       telnet mud.compulink.com 4000 :
 : 106 lines, 300-28,800 bps           endless medieval enjoyment!   :
 : Join our International Teleconference --> chat.compulink.com 9000 :