mycorhizal fungi

Tom Volk tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 26 09:42:20 EST 1995

Hi Paul.  You wrote:
>Fellow Myconuts:
>        Has anyone a contact for research or info regarding mycorhizal fungi?
>Specifically, I'm looking for any attempts to culture them.  My idea is
>to try extracts of the companion roots or surrounding soil as additives
>to agar and similar additives to the spawn mix (grain, wood chips, sawdust).
[some stuff deleted}

For an excellent recnt article see Leonard Hutchison, 1991 Description and
identification of cultures of ectomycorrhizal fungi found in North America.
Mycotaxon 42:387-504.  IN this article, Dr. Hutchision describes some
techniques for isolating & growing cultures of mycorrhizal fungi, and
characters to look for in the cultres to be sure you have the right fungus
in culture. note: includes many boletes, but not chanterelles.  INcludes
many other genera, e.eg Tricholoma, Hebeloma, Amanita, Laccaria, etc..  I
highly recommend the article.
---Tom Volk  Center for Forest Mycology Research, USDA Forest Products Lab,
MAdison Wisconsin    <tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu>