Unknown fungus

Tim Keene timkeene at aol.com
Sat Jul 1 17:41:10 EST 1995

My knowledge of mycology is extremely limited. I can only identify a few
species.
I am a schoolteacher. Recently, another teacher at my school gave me what
she called, "some kind of oriental mushroom which is supposed to have all
kinds of health benefits." She told me to brew a gallon of tea, put the
mushroom in the tea, and let it sit for 15 days. During that time, a
second mushroom grows and the tea turns into vinegar. One is supposed to
drink the vinegar in small doses for increased energy and better general
health. I try to make it a rule not to eat any fungus I can't identify, so
I was wondering if some mycologist in this group could help me identify
this one. It does not look like anything I would call a mushroom. It is a
large, fleshy, ivory-colored, pancake-like disc with no stem or gills. The
texture is rubbery and chewy. Does anybody out there know what it is? If
so, please contact tkeene at tenet.edu
Tim Keene