Axenic VAM Culture with spores

John L. Olivas jolivas at CYBERGATE.COM
Wed Jul 5 18:10:35 EST 1995

On April 28, Heidi wrote:
>To: mycology at net.bio.net
>From: Heidi-Jayne Hawkins <Hawk at Hohenheim.net>
>Subject: Axenic VAM Culture with spores
>Date: 28 Apr 1995 16:12:09 GMT
>
>Greetings!
>
>I am working with VAM inoculated plants under sterile conditions.  This
>requires a sterile inoculum source - ie. spores.  I have been isolating
>spores (by centrifugation on sucrose), harvesting (by Pasteur pipette
>connected to a vacuum or not - under the disection microscope) and
>cleaning (by rolling over filter paper) and sterilising (by transferral
>to sterilant in a cup sieve under a laminar flow hood) - all these
>processes are very tedious and a lot of transferals means that spores
>are lost.
>
>Can anyone with experience of spores advise any other methods or
>modifications of the methods above.  I would sincerely appreciate this
>as each plant inoculated required 500 to 1000 spores; this involves
>thus for one experiment large amounts of soil filtrate!
>
>Thanks.
>
>Yours sincerely
>Heidi

I have information for Heidi, but here address is incorrect. Does anyone
have it?
 John L. Olivas                             -     Phone 209-269-1152
 Technical Representative         -     Office 800-USA-BIO1
 BioScientific, Inc.                        -    Fax 209-439-8639
 3574 W. Escalon Avenue          -    Email jolivas at cybergate.com
 Fresno, California 93711            -