Help: Vogel's medium N

Chuck Staben staben at pop.uky.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:27:19 EST 1995

Following is our lab recipe, lifted intact from David Perkins':

THIS IS A 50X STOCK

Dissolve each component before adding the next.  Add all to 750 ml water.

sodium citrate.2water (125g) OR sodium citrate.5water (150g)
KH2PO4 (monobasic potassium phosphate) (250g)
NH4NO3 (ammonium nitrate) (100 g)
MgSO4.7water (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) (10g)
CaCl2.2water (calcium chloride) (5g)

ADD:
Trace element solution 5 ml
Biotin solution (0.1 mg/ml) 2.5 ml

Add water to 1 liter.
Add 5 ml CHCl3 as a preservative.  Store at room temperature.

To make liquid or solid medium, dilute to 1X, add carbon source (1.5% sucrose is typical)
Use agar at 1.5-2.0% for solid media.

Trace element solution:

citric acid   5 g
ZnSo4.7H2o 5 g
Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H20 1g
CuSO4.5H2O  0.25 g
MnSO4.1H2O  0.05g
H3BO3  0.05 g
Na2MO4.2H2O 0.05 g

Dissolve in 95 ml water.  Add 1 ml chloroform as preservative.
Store at room temperature

Biotin is dissolved in water and stored frozedn in small aliquots.