Morel mycelium

Michael Clark michael-clark at uiowa.edu
Sun Jul 16 20:31:50 EST 1995

Hello,
  Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I've recently taken a
tissue culture from a black morel, and the mycelium looks very
different from other mushroom mycelium I've seen (C. comatus, A. brun.,
S. rugoso-annulata).  It is much less dense, whitish brown, and appears
to grow into the agar as well as on top of it.  My media is standard
malt-extract agar supplimented with yeast extract with ampicillin
(200mg/liter of agar) added to suppress bacterial contamination.  Is
this appearance normal for morel mycelium, and are there any
recommendations on agar media?  Thanks.

Michael Clark
michael-clark at uiowa.edu