Scytalidium

Dennis Gaunt dgaunt at uhl.uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 19 15:05:36 EST 1995

Marianne Elliott (conal at oz.net) wrote:
: I have been doing some reading about the plant pathogenic fungus
: Hendersonula toruloidea (Deuteromycotina, Coelomycetes), and the
: scytalidium state or form-genus has been mentioned.  Is this the same as
: the genus scytalidium that is a mycoparasite on some fungi that cause
: rust diseases in trees?  I guess I'm confused about what is meant by
: form-genus.  Any information would be appreciated.   ----Marianne
:

A form-genus is commonly used for the anamorph or conidial state
of the fungus.  The prefix form- denotes that these groups don't
imply phylogenetic relationships.  They're simply "handles" for use
in discussing the various forms.
| Dennis D. Gaunt                   | Internet: dgaunt at uhl.uiowa.edu |
| The University of Iowa            |    Voice: (319) 335-4500       |
| Oakdale Research Campus           |      FAX: (319) 335-4555       |
| Iowa City, Iowa  52242            |                                |