colorless mutants

Chuck Staben staben at pop.uky.edu
Mon Jul 24 19:19:56 EST 1995

Neurospora mutants are described well in a review:
Perkins, et al Microbiol. Rev. 46:426-570.
There are three loci at which mutants conferring an albino phenotype are known: al-1, al-2,
and al-3.
These, and many other stocks as well as other information are available from the Fungal
Genetic Stock Center:
http://kumchttp.mc.ukans.edu/research/fgsc/main.html
I am less familiar with Aspergillus mutants.  I believe that there are many more collections
of A. nidulans mutants than of A. niger.  Although I know that many color mutants are known, I
do not know which loci confer albino phenotypes.  The Stock Center also collects A. nidulans
mutants and, I think, has some A. niger stocks.