5S RNA genes

u6065610 at HERMES.UCS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU u6065610 at HERMES.UCS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 12 21:24:00 EST 1995

Adan Marchant wrote:
>Could someone please tell me in which taxonomic groups the 5S rDNA is part
>of the main (SSU, 5.8S, LSU) repeat unit, and in which groups it is located
>elsewhere in the genome?

We have been examining the organisation of 5S rRNA genes in protists
(simple eukaryotes).   Some protists have the 5S rRNA gene linked to the
large subunit rRNA gene of the RDNA repeat (eg. Pythium spp. with
filamentous sporangia, Phytophthora spp., Saprolegnia and crytomonad algae)
but other protists (eg. Pythium spp. with globose or unknown sporangia)
have 5S rRNA genes unlinked to the rDNA repeat (Belkhiri et al. 1992;
Howlett et al. 1992).  We have discussed this evolutionary trend in Gilson
et al. (1995).