5S RNA

u6065610 at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au u6065610 at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 19 19:10:29 EST 1995

Adan Marchant wrote:
>Could someone please tell me in which taxonomic groups the 5S rDNA is part
>of the main (SSU, 5.8S, LSU) repeat unit, and in which groups it is located
>elsewhere in the genome?

We have been examining the organisation of 5S rRNA genes in protists (simple
eukaryotes).   Some protists have the 5S rRNA gene linked to the large subunit
rRNA gene of the RDNA repeat (eg. Pythium spp. with filamentous sporangia,
Phytophthora spp., Saprolegnia and crytomonad algae) but other protists (eg.
Pythium spp. with globose or unknown sporangia) have 5S rRNA genes unlinked to
the rDNA repeat (Belkhiri et al. 1992; Howlett et al. 1992).  We have discussed
this evolutionary trend in Gilson et al. (1995).