Morel Retina Burn

Peter Jaspers-Fayer pjf at osiris.cs.uoguelph.ca
Thu Jun 22 09:06:55 EST 1995

Mike Hoffelder (mh at SUNBLOCK.PGH.WEC.COM) wrote:

 >eric at u.washington.edu (Eric Hirst) wrote:
 >> .....After every morel hunt, whenever I close my eyes I see morels.....

 >I too have experienced this phenomenom many times after a day of
 >intense morel hunting.  The effect seems to last until bedtime,
 >when hundreds of morels will continually appear as I doze off.
 >A night's sleep seems to reset the retina or neural imprint,
 >until I start hunting the next day of course.

The effect is not restricted to morels. Many years ago I would take out an
old row-boat and peer down into the water looking for fish. That night,
when I closed my eyes to go to sleep, I could see the rocks and logs, and
even some of the fish.  I could feel weight of my hat and the rocking of
the boat too!

Many years later, I mastered the computer language APL.  For many months,
I would see APL glyphs before my eyes as I went to sleep.  Those were the
days :-)
--
 /PJ      "You can't grep dead trees"                       pjf at uoguelph.ca
                                                         (519)824-4120x6309